1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Narfi's Life after EU: Chapter Five - CH750-SD 3 Place Aircraft

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by narfi, Sep 5, 2020.

1. narfi

narfi Lost

If you see the form blocks I have been making, there are 2 sets for each part, the bending formers, and the cutting templates. Each set is made up of 2 pieces of wood with matching tooling holes that I can bolt through.

I lay one piece of the cutting template over the sheet of aluminum and drill through the tooling holes through the aluminum.
    Then I put the other cutting template piece underneath the aluminum sandwiching it between the two and bolt them together.
    Then I run a hand held router with a 1/4" or 3/8" end bearing around it which cuts the aluminum exactly to the edge of my cutting templates. It makes a lot of metal shavings everywhere, but makes for a perfectly repeatable part with very smooth edges.

upload_2020-11-27_9-38-53.

upload_2020-11-27_9-39-30.

20201003_133723 (1).

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. narfi

narfi Lost

Still sore from our villages annual "Turkey Bowl" having lost so much weight this was my first year really running and catching instead of just playing on the line. Felt great but I'm guessing I'll never be young again :p

2hrs cleaning up the holes and 1 hour flanging all the holes.
    The plywood separated on the smaller die, so epoxied it and have a few of those holes left but will be just 15min or so.

Landon came out to help but couldn't get enough oomph on the mallet so we tried a couple with clamps, learned about leverage on making handles longer but still not practical so he watched me beat the rest out with the mallet.

He likes visiting at work and trying out the different cockpits and getting ideas and dreaming.

20201130_063514. 20201130_063445. 20201130_063420. 20201130_063403. 20201130_063320. 20201130_063226.

Total time spent building: 63.5 hours
    Total Cost: $8276
    Airplane + consumables + project specific costs: $5340
    Tools, etc.. I will keep for future projects: $2936

• Like Like x 1
  3. narfi

narfi Lost

30min
    Epoxied the male plug back together and flanged the last of the holes. Very last one and the plywood on the male plug failed in a new layer (not my epoxy joint)
    Not sure if there is more flanging to do that size or not, but if there is I will probably make a new male piece from solid wood instead of plywood.

Called Roger this morning and he is still waiting on Rudder drawings for me, so I'm on hold for a little bit.

20201201_071749. 20201201_071722.

Total time spent building: 64 hours
    Total Cost: $8276
    Airplane + consumables + project specific costs: $5340

4. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I swear this is pretty much the only reason I come here now!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

ROFL!
    Same here.

• Like Like x 1
  6. narfi

narfi Lost

I got the blueprints for the Rudder from Roger this week but in the middle of making a storage bed w/ bookshelves and secret cave for my son so probably cant start till next week.

Ordered the 3/4x3/4 angle I needed, just a few inches needed for the rudder but Roger told me I would need roughly 20ft for the entire project, I bought a 25ft stick cut in half. Also have some 1/8" aluminum coming, will need some for the rudder horn.

total for that order $275 (including $30 delivery)

Ordered Some aluminum prep and some primer = $252

I decided to just go with primer I know, PPG 910-704 Super Koropon, it sprays easy, goes on super thin, and produces a hard chemical resistant shell.

Total time spent building: 64 hours

Total Cost: $8803

Airplane + consumables + project specific costs: $5867

7. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

The Rudder from Roger X'D sounds like something from Monty Python

8. narfi

narfi Lost

Hehe.... I've been itching to get back to working on the plane, but have been building a fancy storage bed with bookshelves and a 'secret' cave for my sons new room. It is taking a lot longer than I expected but I think it is turning out pretty nice.

• Like Like x 1
  9. narfi

narfi Lost

Finally got most of Landon's bed made, still waiting on some magnets and hinges, and will need to paint it (black then scuffed up and clear coated for the old distressed look) once reassembled in his room. For not knowing anything about carpentry and making it up as I went along I am pretty happy with it, just not with how long it took :p

20210118_072626.

Was able to start on the rudder yesterday, took about 5 hours to make 7 parts and decide that I needed more dimensions/info to make the rest.

Tapered spars are easy, just make them a few inches too long each direction and then cut out the right size from the middle when done.
    I borrowed a neighbor's 12ft brake and it's got some quirks, not sure if it's just old or needs some adjusting, it bends sharper on the ends than the middle and doesn't clamp over center, the clamp arms need to be 'balanced' in the clamped position and it's a pain getting both clamped without one springing open.

I got pretty close on my angles for the spar and doublers and just tweaked it a little with the hand seamer back at the tent when done.
    The hinge brackets were easy as was the little spar fairing and angle tab.

Was my first time cutting sheet metal with the ulfa knife and it worked really well, though took quite a few passes for the .040, the thinner sheet cut really easy.

20210118_072528.

I sent Roger an email listing the rest of the dimensions I need for the ribs and skins and horn. Will give him a call as well.

Total time spent building: 69 hours
    Total Cost: $8803
    Airplane + consumables + project specific costs: $5867