MA: Planet Calypso Forum!

Discussion in 'Entropia News' started by EP-Newsbot, Sep 20, 2010.

1. [​IMG]

After years of the Entropia community relying on independent, player-operated forums, First Planet Company is excited to announce the upcoming launch of Planet Calypso’s very own official community forum: PlanetCalypsoForum.com.

This new community portal has been designed to become the primary source for news and information regarding Planet Calypso, and a place for the entire Calypso player base to share knowledge and experiences, communicate, and interact.

First Planet Company has been very pleased with both the development and community at EntropiaForum.com over the years. Accordingly, we felt it natural to harness the dedication and momentum of that community when deciding to launch PlanetCalypsoForum.com, and acquired EntropiaForum’s content and database. All of the existing content of EntropiaForum.com, including all member accounts, forum threads and posts, gallery images, blog posts and other data will be moved to the new PlanetCalypsoForum.com web site.

PlanetCalypsoForum (PCF) will offer all of the features currently available on EntropiaForum.com, as well as some exciting new features provided by the latest version of the forum software engine to which PCF will be upgraded. In addition, PCF will sport a very nice graphics update in line with the design of the official PlanetCalypso.com website.

Our Mission for PCF is to provide a place where Calypsians can engage in interesting and constructive discussions, quickly find information and resources about Planet Calypso in a friendly and entertaining environment, and easily access the latest information and updates from First Planet Company. At the same time, we would like to carry over the wonderful spirit and enthusiasm that made EntropiaForum so successful, and ensure that PCF remains squarely focused on the Planet Calypso community.

Transition Period

EntropiaForum will be taken offline on Tuesday, September 21st at 21:00 Calypso Time (UTC). The transfer of EntropiaForum’s database, content and features is expected to require approximately 12 hours. The planned launch date for PlanetCalypsoForum.com is Wednesday, September 22nd.

PCF Administration/Moderation

As Community Manager for First Planet Company, I will act as the primary forum administrator, and will oversee all moderation of the forum. Other FPC staff may also join the forum team in the future, but unlikely to take on many moderation duties.

EntropiaForum.com’s owner/admin, 711, will be coordinating the transition and launch of PlanetCalypsoForum.com, and afterwards will handle technical duties related to the ongoing administration of PCF.

Happily, Rayne Jade and JohnCapital have accepted my request to continue in their roles as forum moderators, meaning that they’ll carry on their good work at PCF under a Community Forum Staff program. Note that Community Forum Staff are not First Planet Company officials or employees – they are volunteers for a role that can often be thankless and daunting, so I hope the community shows them the respect they deserve. It is not unlikely that you’ll see a few more additions to the community staff in the future, but I find it crucial that we start up with a solid team of experienced moderators.

Blogs

All EntropiaForum member blogs will be imported to PCF. In addition, all of the blog entries from Entropia Gateway will be imported, keeping all Planet Calypso news and announcements in one location. Entropia Gateway will then be shut down (though it may be relaunched by MindArk in the future). For those of you subscribed to the Entropia Gateway RSS feed, you will be able to subscribe in much the same way to blogs on PCF. News items released on PCF might work a bit differently than it did on Entropia Gateway. Since I easily can put up blog posts of importance to the PCF portal page, FPC’s development blog might instead be split into several different parts: an EBN blog, a Hanne blog, a CDF blog, and who knows – perhaps even a Marco blog or a Krister blog! Having the ability to easily post news and updates to the FPC blogs will also allow us to be a little more casual in what we write at times, since not everything necessarily needs to go on the front page, something I am personally looking forward to.

More in-depth details about the EntropiaForum transition and PlanetCalypsoForum launch can be found in the following thread on EntropiaForum:

http://www.entropiaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197579

[​IMG]Preview of the Forum Index

More...

2. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Good luck with the migration :)

I have to admit that if I knew a few weeks ago what I know now about the way vBulletin 4 works (or actually does not really work), I would have waited making the transition.

3. Lykke TheNun

Lykke TheNun Lootius bless you all!

gratz to FPC for finaly making it official and buying up EntropiaForum :)

4. narfi

narfi Lost

Will defiantly be interesting to see how this works out. I can see both advantages and disadvantages for ep in this.

narfi

5. This will put EP in an interesting position as the largest INDEPENDENT game related forum. VF, you'd better start shovelling more coal into the boilers now!

So after the change to official over there, who's gonna try the "neovixen test"?? LOL

• Like Like x 1
  6. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

Would be interesting to see what happens. This also explains why NeoMaven hasn't done anything with the forum lately.
    One other thing comes to mind is, if you get banned in the forum, will you be banned in the game now to and visa versa.

Wonder how much they payed 711 for it

7. Razer, they stated that forum and game bans are not linked. Knuckles can still play EU. :)

8. Me wonders what's gonna happen with the already banned members of EF, lol. Do they get unbanned or not?

9. Lykke TheNun

As far as I saw, Hanne wrote that those can write FPC and ask if they can get unbanned ... or something ;)

10. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

I love the look of the new forum. Theres a lovely backdrop graphic and the text is centred in the middle, furthermore looks easy to read.

Must say it comes as a big surprise. I wasn't expecting it at all...

For EP it does give plus and minus points. On the plus as someone allready mentioned would make it the biggest independent forum. This could be very important in the future as some things may not be discussible on an official company forum.

Also it would I think give EP a good competitor to aim towards and perhaps see what vb4 is truly capable of.

Edit:
    After reading the thread I see EF will be relaunched to cover all planet partners. Hmmm interesting so EP will continue to have an independent competitor.

11. How cynical!

Yeah, I thought it too lol.

12. Attractive forum, but with the same moderation staff I expect the same moderation oversights to occur. Though its tempting, for the moment I will pass.

:-)

13. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

one other thing that comes to mind is, will entropedia.com be next??

14. I dont see that happening. Entropedia delves too much into the basic economics of the game, and this is information the developers has to put up with being available but sees it as ultimately a tool that hurts their bottom line.

15. How true. What is the moral MA giving here -- maybe that it's ok to be a cyber squatter and get paid for it if you do it well...

Anyways, it will be nice to have the official forum moving fowards... Probably a heck of a lot cheaper to buy entropiaforum's database then it would have been to do recoding and buy new hardware to support in game mail system everyone's been asking for for a long time.

16. Lykke TheNun

The 'moral' here is, that FPC bought the members of the forum - just like 711 did. It's much easier than having to start all over and 'earn' them! :) Gives them a great advantages!

17. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Personally, I am not too impressed with vB4. I was pretty much forced to buy it before ever getting a go at it in November last year. I can only chalk that up to the same reason MA holds Merry Mayhem events at the end of the year, or throws a big sale right before the end of the year; balancing the yearly statements for the beancounters. The company that used to code vB was bought some time ago by InterBrands (IB) who have no prior software development experience, and it shines through. One of the reasons why I did hand over my money was that they promised to keep the licenses valid for the entire lifecycle of vB4, and in the same post they refered to vB3 as having been around for 3 years or so, which "proved" it was a good deal.

vB4 was released months later, with half of the new exiting content completely unusable. There's a reason that we are not using the official CMS (which FPC is apparently intending to use), and that's because it just does not work properly. There's a lot of issues left with the software that I did not know about prior to converting the forum, and that still remains, even despite 9 months and 6 version upgrades inbetween. And just when 4.0.5 and 4.0.6 seemed to have improved the software, their main tech guy makes a post that hinted at vB5 already, despite vB4 up to today not being what was promised almost a year ago.

I'll actually even admit that I have been looking for a potential substitute to vB as I refuse to hand IB another penny of my money if that's how they intend to do business. I actually do have a good idea of what will be next, but I'll not make any overly hasty decisions ;)

18. 2 PEC:

Putting my Big Brother hat on. Just imagine the huge amount of data that FPC now has! The whole database to include PM's. Sure you can erase them but who is to say they weren't kept for historical reasons. I might be on crack but unless I do the data destruction there is a copy somewhere.

Who wants to bet the "ask Marco" is a link to the waste basket?

19. Simply false... as was stated in the thread. So many conspiracies...

Everyone in a banned status is welcome to contact the new admin (NOT me lol) about being un-banned. Case-by-case basis, of course. I am very happy that is NOT my department ;)

20. I see it differently - for many people the existence of Entropedia (and other resources) deepens their engagement with the game and makes for better EU customers.

I think you're right that it wouldn't happen, but I don't think you have the right reason.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.