Laptop to buy?

Discussion in 'Technical, security and bug reports' started by narfi, Jul 30, 2013.

1. narfi

narfi Lost

Everything else the same, which of these options is better for EU?

AMD A10-5757M 2.5GHz (4MB cache)
    Graphics Coprocessor AMD Radeon HD 8750M Graphics
    Graphics Card Ram Size 2000 MB

or

Intel Core i5 3337U 1.8 GHz (3 MB Cache)
    Graphics Coprocessor NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 720M
    Graphics Card Ram Size 2000 MB

Don't have the budget for high end electronics, but these seem to be in my budget range and able to run EU okish, anyone have any experience or knowledge on them?

2. Sir narfi,

if you dont mind playing on close "above medium detail", on a 1440x900 resolution (still looks (very) good) I can advice to buy a used laptop from like 2008.

I use a Sony VAIO VGN-AR61E besides my desktop now and then and can play Entropia just fine. I even use Riva Tuner to overclock the nvidia 5400GT (noone will adivce you to do so, but it works. Just buy an additional usb cooling plate for 5$) ;p

Specifications: (Installing Windows 7 32-bit wasnt a problem and runs like a charme)

-Intel Core2Duo (Centrino) T5450 @1.66GHz (no overclocking here)
    -Only 2GB of RAM (you get the "low on memory" warning ingame but you can just ignore it) :)
    -nvidia GeForce 5400M GT (overclocked, never passes the 69° Celsius) :p

If you get driver problems on an "old" laptop regarding windows 7, there is always(!) a solution on google. :)

Buying the specifications of your post (i5-3337U) will let you play PE without problems. The Intel HD 4000 graphics is already a monster regarding mobile graphics. :)

Still, dont expect full detail without a frameloss. Even high end desktops have problems with Entropia. ;D

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  3. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Brainstormers Official Brain Glue

Personally I'd rather do dental work on a shark than use a laptop for gaming (not many laptops with 27" or better screens) but having said that I'd advise using a separate keyboard.

4. For sure its way more comfortable to play 14 hours per day using a desktop PC. ;)

5. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

OK so does that mean that any latest gen i5 processor will have good enough on board graphics for entropia on something like high?

Wistrel

6. I havent tested EU myself on such laptop yet and can only speak for my 5 year old laptop so far...but I know the intel HD graphics 4000 are already powerfull.

I tried "high" on my 8400M GT, but it is simply no fun moving around !

"High" would be possible for sure on any i5, but grassy areas and filled towns will defenitly be the bottleneck. (just like on desktops) ;p

For smooth "high" gaming Id choose some alienware laptop for 3000$ ;)

But in short, yes, it should be possible on high, if Entropia does not have any problems with intel HD graphics (anymore).

7. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Thanks Mr McC. Sounds good. I think what I could do with doing is find someone with a modern laptop and do some tests. Yeh my core2duo and 260gtx PC is fine for most of entropia but crowded areas, medusa, some others and the towns in arkadia are a nightmare.

8. narfi

narfi Lost

This is for my wife, her current laptop (a dell :( ) was on its last legs with only one hinge holding on the screen, touchpad getting more and more flakey and EU running on all low settings.

Last night the other hinge gave out so she has MacGuivered some tape trestles to hold it up until we get her a new one.

I decided on this one,
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DKFFLMY/ref=gno_cart_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Which is better than my current laptop which while almost 2yrs old is still running EU just fine. (Acer Aspire 7741G-6426)

9. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

I have a laptop with almost these same components, it should do fine on medium with a couple of high settings. ;) One thing you can do to get a bit more speed is to replace the HD with a SSD drive. This is an added expense, but worth it. ;)

Happy gaming!! :D

10. AxeMurderer

AxeMurderer Master Of Entropia

I have Geforce GT 630M (looks like 6% better than that GeForce® GT 720M) and I have to lower it to medium I think to get rid of the lag. So you can play, but not gonna enjoy the graphic. The AMD Radeon HD 8750M must be better than both, but dunno if it will be enought to play in hi settings.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.