Planet Calypso: Everything wrong with MA in one screenshot

Discussion in 'Planet Calypso' started by Wistrel, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Entropia 2018-01-10 21.26.00 [2, 78365, 69513, 227].jpg

Right I accept I'm being a BIT (maybe a lot) overzealous here but this one thing just pretty much summed up the issues in one foul swoop.

What do we have here? A lovely scene (ok not exactly Crysis but y'know, MMO - we don't expect that "finely crafted level" level of detail), dynamic lighting, even much improved lighting, they even manage to do something about that awful jerking when the sun moved and lately someone did something about the light intersurface reflection stuff too which was nice attention to detail.

So yes, we have some effort here, we even have a nice exploration mission given by an NPC at a camp* where they'd bothered to lay a bunch of stuff out on tables and make it feel a bit "camp'y". Not perfect (why anyone would want fashion mags at a camp I'm not sure but y'know, we'll use whatever assets are already in game) however the point is someone is trying here.

So what do they do? First damn mission tree you come across has the camera near as dammit floating in free space. OK yes yes it's touching a creeper but really? would it be SO much effort to plonk it somewhere where it at least looks like it could be realistically attached? Heck it even animates which is great!

The point is, it's that final mile that so often lets Entropia down. The mob that sticks it's head into you or attacks while facing in the wrong direction, the grass that is floating in midair, the avatar that rez's on top of you at a revival terminal. The texture that is the wrong resolution compared to everything near by, the tree stump that rotates 90 degrees at each change of LOD as you run up to it.

It seems MA always go so far and then have a serious attack of the "That'll Do's" and give up. To me at least, it smacks of a lack of pride in work and self respect.

Entropia 2018-01-10 21.25.37 [2, 78365, 69513, 227].jpg

Wistrel

* oh yeh but for some reason MA think it doesn't break the immersion to have the mission giver hang around in her undies.

Entropia 2018-01-09 16.10.38 [2, 79538, 68373, 255].jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. I've seen NPCs in undies on at least three planets. It seems the system is set up in such an awkward way that it's extremely easy to lose one's clothes - this must be why more and more NPCs are choosing to wear armor. (In at least one case however (Turrelions on Cyrene) they had lost armor, too.)

3. Tass

Tass Administrator

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Have to admit, I did wonder if something like that was happening.... maybe someone picked em up and put them in their inventory ,-)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.