1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do X - The Resurrection Of A Legend in Real Life, VR and 3D-print

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by Jamira, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I will not do much more else during the next months or probably years. So I decided to make a seperate thread about this very special issue.

upload_2020-1-6_1-23-59.

At July 12th 1929 the Do X took off at the first time. At that time she was the biggest airplain worldwide for more than 20 years. Additional she was build completely from metal wich was new. Only three were build and no exemplar survived. Even the blueprints are lost except some drawings and a lot of photos. We are a few enthusiasts who want to make a 1:1 scale model of this masterpiece of engineering. We collaborate with Dornier Museum in Friedrichshafen and with some universities in Baden-Wuertemberg/Germany. Currently more than 30 students work at this project.

I stumbled about this project by accident. I loved this airplane since I was 8 or 10 years old (1962/1964). So I searched the internet for some drawings or contacts to build my own model of it for VR. Immediately I found Peter Kielhorn, who is the spiritus rector of the project. And TAHHHDAHH! he got pretty good 3D-models already. He planned to make a VR-version as well. So we quickly came together and decided to combine our activities.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Thanks to all the data I could make some high-resolution pictures for a photo book, a few raw VR-presentations and some early parts for a 1:43-scale model of the forecastle. This is our first waypoint. Something like this:
    upload_2020-1-6_2-1-44.
    Fortunately my old WANHAO printer died and I bought a new ENDER 3 pro for 250 Euro. This baby is way better. So I could print the first parts:
    upload_2020-1-6_2-5-0.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Tomorrow an editorial journalist of our local news paper will visit me to talk about the project. Especially about VR. But I can show him the ongoing of the 3D-printed model as well.
    In early April we will be at the AERO in Fridrichshafen. We will be part of the presentation of Dornier Museum. I hope to finish the 1:43 model until than. We will be able to offer two Oculus Quest and my Oculus Rift. No clue if we have enough room for such a blast ;-)
    And I hope to meet David Dornier, director of Dornier Museum.

Printing lots of parts:
    upload_2020-1-7_2-46-16.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, my first attempt to make a model kit, everyone can print and build. That's a big chellange! I had low success so far. I have to rethink what I really want to publish. For now I'm working at a model of the forecastle of the Do X at 1:43 for our presentation at the AERO in Fridrichshafen in early April.
    upload_2020-1-11_3-31-31.
    upload_2020-1-11_3-32-3.
    upload_2020-1-11_3-32-35.

• Like Like x 2