3D-print of an avatar

Discussion in 'General Entropia Universe Discussion' started by Jamira, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, we've had several attempts so far ... now we reached a new stage.
    That's my younger sister Kristin:
    upload_2014-1-5_3-37-27.png

We decided to start with a 1:10 model. Since Kristin is a tall woman and she use shoes with heels: 20,4 cm (~4 inch). That's too large for my 3D-printer. So we had to split the model. I used Rhino 3D to do it.

upload_2014-1-5_3-51-1.jpeg

I cut her legs (the plane in the middle), closed the holes and sent the resulting STL-file to my printer software.
    upload_2014-1-5_3-59-56.jpeg

But the size is not the main problem. Most difficulties come from hair. Plain faces with thickness zero. How to print a geometry with thickness zero? Fortunataly the printer software is kinda free of pain and does the job without bitching.

That's what I got:
    upload_2014-1-5_4-38-9.jpeg

upload_2014-1-5_4-38-57.jpeg

I am not good with taking photos ... but the face is really sad :(

upload_2014-1-5_4-40-11.jpeg
    Transparent items are not grabbed ... so we miss Kristln's Malachai Ash ;(

We will make a bigger model soon. Kinda 30 cm high (~12 inch).

Stay tuned ... ;-)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
  2. This looks freakin awesome :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Not really ... let's have a look at the bigger print.

4. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

Not bad. What printer was this again? I remember you told us once before, but I can't find the damn page. :umn::alcohol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Its hard to see exactly what is going on with the face as the camera is too close I think and out of focus. Do you have a macro setting? I've thought about if it would be possible to do this kinda thing for years actually ever since my friend showed me something that allowed you to make 3d models out of multiple photos of things. I decided it would be too much work though until it was possible to 3d print in colour ergo removing the "painting" stage.

So yeh, very excited to see you've done this!! How did you make the model? Aside from using that rhino software I mean how did you move from in game model to 3d package model? I'd love to have a play with something like that if possible even if I can't print it.

Wistrel

6. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

@Wistrel: I used my tablet for the photos. The camera app don't have a macro function. But the model is so bad, it's not worth to put more effort into it.
    @Alien: EX1-Basic (PV-8600-675) from PEARL

Right now printing Kristin's long sexy legs ;-)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Looks cool, where's the legs did one of those the 3d printed Atrox bite them off : ):biggrin:

8. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Here they are:
    20140105_152941.jpg
    Poor Kristin in an very uncomfortable position while the glue is drying ;-)
    20140106_005837.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

We made another attempt today with my Lion armor. The plan was to make a 30 cm model. But the armor is modeled too rough:
    20 and 30 cm.jpg
    Compare the naked arms to the rest of the model. That would look terrible when printed. Probably I will make a test with the harness only ... dunno yet.
    Generally it's not that simple as advertising usually asserts. I have to learn more about Rhino3D to be able to handle polygon nets better. Next problem is painting the model. Compare Kristin's bikini to the face edges of the model. The bikini is just a texture. You will need a fine brush and a steady hand to paint it.

But well ... I bought that stupid printer to learn more about 3D-printing. OMW :-)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Yes, it does! :) Remember you are very new to this 3d modeling and it takes time..all that you have do so far looks GREAT!! Keep it up!

11. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

ROFL!
    Yes, I am a damn noob after 24 years of 3D-modeling with CATIA, SolidWorks, Rhino3D, 3D Studio Max, SketchUp and messing up with 3D-prints since six years.

12. LOL!!

NO NO, sorry, yes, I know you are very skilled...but all I was saying is you were very new with that printer and the ins and outs of how it works when printing out the 3d model in the best way it can.

13. You're onto something here. Had no idea that an in-game screenshot would be enough, so gratz!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Is it? I'm hoping for a post on how this is done soon =D Interesting to see about the low poly-ness being an issue. I hadn't thought of that... I wonder would sanding the model slightly improve the smoothness of things?

Wistrel

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Good question. I'm assuming it was started with the in-game screenshot otherwise you would need the actual file which is the ideal. I've not used Rhino 3D but in 3Ds Max you can use a screenshot as an overlay or BP but usually if it's a dead-on front side and back views (so I assume it's similar for Rhino 3D). Jamira's screenshot is at an angle, so the 3D print software must be quite good although quite a lot of excess plastic.

16. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

hehe folks ...
    The 3D-model is not from a simple ingame 2D-screenshot. You need a 3D-grabber to grab the 3D-geometry. The screenshot was posted to show you how it should look like.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

So what is that then and how does it work?

18. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

First of all: When I once was up to use this tool I asked MindArk (Simon - I guess some here will remember Simon and Emma at PA) if I am allowed to use it. The answer was "Yes, but for private purpose only." Everyone who wants to use it should ask for MindArk's permission before!

http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm

It is working via "global system monitoring". The description says: "In this mode, 3D Ripper DX will sit in tray and inject itself into every launched application." So to say if you hit the grab-key the scene is frozen and the grabber copy all data of the current frame to the directory that was scheduled before. 3D Ripper DX comes up with import-plug-ins for 3D Studio Max ... and Maya if I remember right. I import the grabs to 3D Studio and export them as STL (stereolithography). I can use this polygon nets with Rhino 3D and SolidWorks to prepair them for a 3D-print. Usually I use Rhino to export another STL-file for my printer software. This software generates a file that tells the printer what to do - the geometry in question, the filling rate, the suspension geometry, heating and cooling and so on.

That's the way it works. No way to get a 3D-model from a 2D-screenshot ;-)

Crash course in 3D game geometry:
    Imagine an incline triangle in a 3D space. It is described perfectly by it's three corner points. Each point has three coordinates ... usually named as x, y, z. Now imagine 2000 triangles arranged in a special way - Kristin's body ;-) Okay, okay than comes the texture part to make that triangles look like something ... rusty metal, seductive skin and so on. That's all. That's what our little universe is made of ;-) Well, it's a bit more complex ... but that is the essential part.

Well, MM eats up all my loot ... I am off for my new beloved home at Monria ;-)
    And gues what: I am relaxed ;-)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 2
  19. That'll teach me to make assumptions... With 3Ds Max I could in theory take dead-on front, back & side view screenshots, then remove the background in PD or similar and then use them as templates. OK, the in-game view of your sister is at an angle, so not exactly the same o.c, but I thought it might be possible :p
    Thanks for the info on 3D Ripper DX.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  20. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Thanks for the post jamira. It did sound like it would be something like that from a wee google but yeh my first thought was,., hmm isn't this hacking of sorts so MA may disapprove. Fair doos if they approved you though. I suspect we would have less joy these days as we don't get MA reps like Emma and Simon in game and besides... it sounds like a lot of work still with even the grabber, Maybe I would be better just meeting you in game haha. I might be able to swing access to a 3d printer haha.

Wistrel

PS looking forward to more updates on progress with the model

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.